Welcome to Excel Jet Consult blog post. Power BI, Microsoft’s powerful business analytics service, empowers users to transform data into insightful reports and dashboards. After creating a compelling Power BI report on your desktop, the next step is to share it with stakeholders. This is where the Power BI Service comes into play. In this blog post, I will guide you through the process of publishing a Power BI report into the Power BI Service, making your reports accessible to a wider audience within your tenant. Let’s get started.
What is the Power BI Service?
The Power BI Service is the cloud-based platform that complements the Power BI desktop application. It allows you to publish, share, and collaborate on reports and dashboards created in Power BI Desktop. By uploading your Power BI files to the service, you can access your reports from anywhere with an internet connection, share them with colleagues, and enable real-time data updates.
Publishing Your Power BI File
Below is the Power BI Report we want to publish to the Power BI Service
The following is a step-by-step guide on how to publish Power BI report to the Power BI Service:
- Sign in to Power BI: Visit Power BI and sign in with your Microsoft account or organizational credentials.
- Click on Publish: The publish icon will prompt you to save your Power BI Report before proceeding.
- Navigate to Workspace: Once you have saved your report , you’ll be taken to the Power BI workspace. If you don’t have a workspace yet, you can create one in the Power BI Service. In this blog, we want to publish the report to the My workspace. Click on Select
- Successful Publish: The Power BI report is successfully published to the Power BI service with the Success message as seen below:
- Confirm the Published Report: To confirm the successfully publishing of the report, go to the Power BI Service and open the My workspace which is the destination workspace. As seen from the screenshot below, we can see the Report and the underlying dataset.
- Access the Report: Click on the CustomDemoVideo and access the report in the Power BI Service as seen in the screenshot below
Sharing and Collaboration
With your Power BI report now in the Power BI Service, you have various sharing options:
- Share with Individuals: You can share your report with specific individuals by entering their email addresses. This is useful for sharing with colleagues or clients.
- Publish to Web: If you want to make your report accessible to a broader audience, you can use the “Publish to web” option to generate a public URL for your report. Be cautious with this option, as it makes your data public.
- Embed in Websites and Apps: Power BI allows you to embed reports in websites, applications, and SharePoint portals, ensuring your data is integrated into your existing workflows.
Publishing Power BI reports to the Power BI Service is a crucial step in sharing and collaborating on your data-driven insights. With this process, you can leverage the cloud-based capabilities of Power BI to access your reports from anywhere, keep your data up-to-date, and collaborate with colleagues and stakeholders effectively. See you in the next blog.